10 Things I’ve Learned in 7 Months
(in no particular order)
10. We play in a very competitive conference. The Raccoon River Conference is very competitive and makes us raise the level of our competitive play.
9. We have good coaches/directors/sponsors who care about our students and will work to get better.
8. Change takes time. We have some things working well and some things that possibly need to be done differently or a little better. Some of these will not happen overnight. Small steps are good steps.
7. Celebrate the small victories. We sometimes get a bit impatient trying to see a vision become a reality. We’re going to continue to look at things with the glass half full approach.
6. We have great kids. I’ve seen some great things out of a number of different students in a number of different activities and look forward to many more.
5. We have a community that is passionate. We all want our kids to succeed. We (coaches and parents) may look at things through a different lens but we all want success. By the lens, I mean coaches have to look at things from a TEAM first approach. Parents sometimes see things through what's best for their child. Neither is wrong. Most of our coaches are parents. We understand that love and commitment to our own child, but coaching has to be done with the big picture in mind and the TEAM dynamic at the front of the thought process.
4. I work with a great bunch of people. I’m not going to start to name them all because the list would become so long it would be an entire blog (but I’ll do that someday). Whether they help with day to day operations, transportation, facilities, booster club, tickets, volunteering, or other areas, we've got great people who are good at what they do and do it for the right reasons.
3. We’re looking for new and innovative ways to communicate and promote our programs and students as an Activities Department, individual programs, and individuals. We want to be cutting edge and leading the way.
2. Success is a Journey, Not a Destination. We will never be done. We want the target on our back, will work to get it there, and then embrace it.
1. It’s Great To Be A Wildcat. That IS #1!!